Role: Chief Reporter, Farmers Guardian
Reporting to: Deputy Editor
Location: Hybrid role - Preston/home based
Hours: 35 hours per week
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of the UK’s leading providers of news for the food and farming industry as a Chief Reporter. Farmers Guardian is a multi-platform content provider powered by a team of award winning journalists and is seeking a talented, enthusiastic individual to help us set the agenda for news coverage within agriculture. As Chief Reporter within the news team, you will be leading the team in the search for stories, often with a political angle, and ensuring Farmers Gurardian and sister titles set the agenda for news coverage within agriculture.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Compiling stories, often with a political angle, and providing well researched analysis to farming businesses
- Ensure Farmers Guardian (weekly magazine, website and podcasts) and its sister titles set the agenda for news coverage within agriculture
- Sourcing and writing stories for FG and sister titles Dairy Farmer and Arable Farming, both in print and online
- Ensure that the stories you source cover the full range of farming topics from right across the UK
- Develop strong links within the political sphere so Farmers Guardian and sister brands stay ahead of the legislative curve within agriculture and breaking news that matters to farmers
- Lead and develop off-diary specials and campaigns which help FG set the wider news agenda within farming and which resonate with the needs and concerns of our audience
- Take a lead on the provision and development of podcast and video content, working with the media production team to identify and develop key topics
- Travel nationally and internationally for the company when required to represent the brand and cover events
- NCTJ journalism qualification or equivalent
- A great communicator, whether that is via the written or spoken word
- Ability to multitask and work as part of a team but can also work independently when required
- Demonstrable journalism skills – ideally you will present a portfolio of published news articles
- You will be creative and enthusiastic with excellent organisational skills and able to write news and features to deadlines
- A confident reporter capable of holding industry and political leaders to account
- An effective communicator with the enthusiasm to produce quality journalism
- Possess a tenacious desire to uncover stories and issues that help set FG apart
We offer an excellent package including:
- 25 days holiday increasing to 27 after two years.
- An extra day off on your birthday
- Matched pension contribution up to 6%
- Employee assistance programme
- Ongoing training. Throughout your career at Agriconnect you will receive continued career development support from our management team
- Exceptional career progression. We are ever-evolving, if you work hard and do well - with our help and support there are no limits to your speed of progress
Agriconnect is the largest multi-platform agricultural information business in the UK. Our brands reach deeply into all the major agricultural sectors – arable, dairy, livestock, agricultural machinery, finance, and equipment. We take a farmer-centric approach to media.
Agriconnect is a business unit within the Arc network, a global events, data, and media platform. Arc is a fast-growing global events, data, and media platform with a varied portfolio content led portals, magazines, and events.
We strive to create a culture that is open and respectful, where differences are valued and celebrated. We want everyone to be able to reach their full potential, so we are committed to cultivating a company that promotes inclusion and belonging.
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV and a brief cover note via the apply button.