In the role of Research Officer, you will be responsible for the collection, analysis and processing of farm level financial and physical data as prescribed by the Farm Business Survey contract. It is critical to maintain good relationships with co-operators (farmers and growers), DEFRA personnel and other external contacts in this role.
There are opportunities to join our growing team across England. Your preferred territory will be discussed with you if your application is shortlisted.
What will you do as a Research Officer?
- Manage a sample of farmers and growers participating in the Farm Business Survey.
- Collect, analyse, process farm business information and approve the results in consultation with the participating farmer or grower. This includes visiting farmers and growers at their businesses as well as other forms of contact
- Complete data returns for onward transmission to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). This includes detailed breakdown of all inputs and outputs that occurred during the financial year to produce a detailed management account for that business.
- Write feedback reports to farmers and growers, providing benchmarking results to participants of the Farm Business Survey.
- Work together with the FBS Farm Recruitment Manager to recruit new participants for the FBS each year as determined by the requirements of the survey set out by DEFRA.
- Accept full responsibility for the safe custody and return of participant business records (e.g. bank statements, cheque books, invoices, sales notes and all other documents loaned for full account completion.)
- Assist with responding to enquiries from internal and external sources as directed
Do you have these skills and experiences?
- Ability to work in a flexible manner and be self-motivated
- Travel within region to undertake work
- Agriculture related qualification or significant experience
- Driving license
- A thorough, broad and current understanding of Agriculture, Horticulture and the Rural Community
- Experience working with detailed figures and working to targets with a high level of accuracy and numeracy
- Detailed knowledge of MS Excel spreadsheets and the ability to use to an advanced level
- Sound understanding of accounting principles with experience of Xero software beneficial
- Ability to work as a trusted partner to survey participants
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
- No weekends
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Enhanced company pension, company sick pay and family leave entitlement
- Wellness programmes
- Genus Benefits include store and leisure discounts, gym membership and dental plans
- Referral programme
- Loyalty Scheme
- Investment in CPD and Language training provided